Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m known to have irregular periods

I’m known to have irregular periods

Patient: I’m known to have irregular periods but the previous one only lasted a day, regular flow for the blood but the next day or two I just got brown discharge. My fiancé and I have been having unprotected sex nonstop, am I pregnant?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Minor variations in the menstrual flow can be seen frequently due many causes like lifestyle modifications, stress and strain, weight changes etc.If you had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation, there is some possibility of pregnancy, better to go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility.Hope this helps.Take care.