Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m nearly 16 and haven’t started my period is there

I’m nearly 16 and haven’t started my period is there

Patient: I’m nearly 16 and haven’t started my period is there something wrong with me

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.We generally wait till 16 completed years to investigate a case of primary amenorrhea, that is not having gotten cycles for the first time.You will have to see a gynecologist for an examination and investigations like ultrasound, blood, urine and hormonal tests. Thyroid dysfunction, prolactin disorders, anemia, malnourishment, vitamin deficiencies, hormonal disorders can all be the contributory causes. It can be treated with hormone supplements in many cases.The doctor will guide you accordingly after an examination.Hope this helped.Regards