Im not sure if i am pregnaunt or maybe something is wrong?

Patient

Q: I had unprotected sex 5 days ago and I know its really early to really be able to tell if i'm pregnant or not, but I have a 2 year old and i've been having some of the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant with her. again I know its really too early to tell, but are there signs I can look for to tell if maybe I have conceived? when we had unprotected sex it was during my ovulation period and my next cycle isn't due for another 9-12 days. I have just been really sleepy and I keep getting these mild but still uncomfortable cramps in my lower stomach that come and go through out the day and some back pain, I am very regular and I always have the same symptoms every month. I do get the back pain before my cycle but never the cramps or the lack of energy.

Symptoms:  Sore back, Menstrual like cramps that come and go and are not very intense, tired all the time.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have become pregnant in this encounter. The symptoms that you are describing are associated with pregnancy however they are not specific to pregnancy. The best way to be certain for this is to visit your doctor to conduct a pregnancy test by an in office urine test along with a blood test to measure the level of beta-HCG in your serum. This is a hormone released during pregnancy and is what is detected during pregnancy testing. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com