Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m not sure if I have herpes

I’m not sure if I have herpes

Patient: The corner of my mouth was itching, so i scrach it. Now there is a big bump on the corner of my mouth, i have not have any oral sex. I am not sure what it is but i have scratch my lip before and no bump came up, and it dosen’t look like a regular cold sore. What do you think it is?

Doctor: There are 2 kinds of herpes simplex strains type 1 and type 2. HSV type 1 generally causes cold sores and HSV type 2 aff ects the genitals. Herpes simplex is transmitted by direct contact with an active lesion or by exchange of bodily fluids. Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding. In the management of the disease. Some preventive measures include: avoiding contact with individuals who (often asymptomatically) are excreting the virus in saliva or genital secretions. Daily antiviral therapy can be given to reduce episodes of asymptomatic genital shedding and to further reduce the risk of transmission. Avoid touching saliva, skin, or mucous membranes that have sores. The sores and symptoms of oral herpes completely clear up in 2-3 weeks.