Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m not sure if it’s birth control side effects or

I’m not sure if it’s birth control side effects or

Patient: I’m not sure if it’s birth control side effects or pregnancy, but I just can’t stop thinking about it. My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and 8 months and we have unprotected sex quite often. He has never came inside me and recently for the past week and couple days, I’ve been taking birth control but I was prescribed them about a month ago, so is it okay that I’m just taking them? Also, I was supposed to have my period a couple days ago but ever since I started taking bc, I’ve had a missed period, and I’m not sure if that’s normal or just because of the bc. I’ve also had dark brown discharge (no period) and it’s been like that for a couple days…I take my bc almost the same time everyday, but maybe there’s been two days where I took it hours later by accident. I pray to god I’m not pregnant, and hopefully this is normal.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If you have started the birth control pills on day 2 or before day 5 of your cycles and used a backup like condom for a week, even when on the pills, there is a reduced chance of pregnancy. However, if you have started them late, delayed by a few hours for a few days, it all amounts to increasing the failure rate of the pills.Since you have missed the expected cycles and also have a brown discharge and no bleeding, it is ideal that pregnancy is ruled out in the first place. Do a pregnancy test at home or consider seeing a gynecologist for a beta hCG test to rule out pregnancy.There is no need to panic at any cost, even if it is positive and the pregnancy if early, you can opt for a termination in view of failed contraception and terminate the pregnancy only on doctor’s supervision. Do not attempt a termination by yourself as it can get complicated.Hope this helped.Regards