I'm not sure what is wrong with my lungs

Q: I'm not sure what is wrong with my lungs. It hurts to breathe in too deep, I cough up lost of phlegm, and it feels like I can't breathe in deep enough about 3 times a day.

Welcome to ask the doctor.

You seem to be suffering from asthma or acute bronchitis which is known to cause chest tightness, difficulty breathing and shortness of breath on exertion, or even while talking and laughing. You may also have an obstructive airway disease apart from asthma. You will have to see a pulmonologist to examine you and auscultate your chest. A pulmonary function test may be needed to check your lung function and you would be advised accordingly. A course of bronchodilators like salbutamol or steroid inhalers and antihistamines in case of allergic bronchitis may help. Stop smoking and alcohol if you do so.

Hope this helped.