Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m on extended cycle birth control I had unprotected sex

I’m on extended cycle birth control I had unprotected sex

Patient: I’m on extended cycle birth control. I had unprotected sex 10 days ago. The only reason I’m worried is because I was drinking two weeks ago and took my pill about 20 minutes before I got sick and vomited. So I bought a pregnancy test. It says “5 days before your missed period,” but I only have a period every three months. So my question is, when should I take it for accuracy? In my pill package I am about to start week 8 of active pills. I’d rather not have to wait 5 weeks when I’m supposed to get my period.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.You can do a pregnancy test 14 days after your last sexual intercourse, immaterial of your last cycles. If negative, you can continue your regular medications.Hope this helped.Regards