Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m on sertraline 50mg tablets for depression and after been

I’m on sertraline 50mg tablets for depression and after been

Patient: I’m on sertraline 50mg tablets for depression and after been on them for 2 weeks I started to lightly bleed is this normal? I stopped taking them but need to start again would that be ok?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query at ATD.I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.Sertaline is an an tidepressant and is serotonin uptake inhibitor.Serotonin affect clotting mechanism and may cause bleeding.Do in your case bleeding occur due to side effect of drug.Antidepressants should not stopped without consulting your physician.So consult your treating physician for the same whether you should start the medicine or not.Hope found useful.Good luck.Regards