Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m on the implanon for birth control I’ve been

I’m on the implanon for birth control I’ve been

Patient: I’m on the implanon for birth control. I’ve been on my period for 9 days. What’s the problem?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Implanon is a hormonal contraceptive and can cause changes in the menstrual cycle. Miss ed periods, prolonged cycles, irregular bleeding patterns are all observed with hormonal contraceptives. Since the bleeding has been there for nine days, to prevent further blood loss and anemia consider consulting a gynecologist for hormonal medications to bring the bleeding under control. It will settle down by next cycle. Drink plenty of water and have a healthy diet.Hope this helped.Regards