Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m on the nuvaring and I just got my period

I’m on the nuvaring and I just got my period

Patient: I’m on the nuvaring and I just got my period about a week early. I usually take it out day 24 and put in a new one day 28 but since I’m already on my period can I take it out day 21 and put in the next one four days later?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query!Nuvaring is used for 21 days with 7 days break in a 28-day cycle.Usually bleeding only occurs after removal of the ring.In your case, as you were bleeding already on a ring, you can remove the ring and place again after 7 days.But if the bleeding continues after insertion a ring you should confer with your treating doctor because it may be a side effect of the ring.Hope it was useful.Regards