I'm on the nuvaring birth control &have Been for

Patient : I'm on the nuvaring birth control & have Been for going on 2 months now, & this past week I had my ring free week, well Friday & Saturday I had unprotected sex but Saturday night I was supposed to put a new ring in & forgot until 12:00 am that night before I went to bed is it ok that I waited that long or could I be pregnant ? Last night & today I've had some pretty bad stomach pains but I didn't know if that was just something from putting a new ring in ??
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. If you used nuvaring correctly for three weeks, it can give protection during the ring-free week also. Few hours delay in the insertion of nuvaring may not affect its contraceptive efficacy. The abdominal cramps you are having could be due to side effect of new nuvaring or due possible infection due to unprotected intercourse. If you want to rule out the possibility of pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test three weeks after unprotected intercourse. If the abdominal cramps persist, better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated. Take care.