Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m on the pill and am sexually active

I’m on the pill and am sexually active

Patient: I’m on the pill and am sexually active. Today I noticed some very small, brown discharge on my underwear. I skipped my last period because I was going on holiday and didn’t want the hassle of having my period and I’m due to go on this month’s inactive pills in five days time (I haven’t missed any active pills this month either). I’m wondering if it’s possible that this discharge is just because I haven’t has my period or if it’s possible that I’m pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The pills themselves cause an abnormal discharge at times as a side effect of consumin g them. If you have not missed a single active pill, then there is very little chance of pregnancy. The discharge could even be a part of a vaginal infection. Consider consulting a gynecologist for an examination to rule out infection and also do a beta hCG blood test to rule out pregnancy. If both are negative, there is nothing for you to worry about the discharge.Hope this helped.Regards