I'm on the pill, but I'm not good at remembering

Patient

Q: I'm on the pill, but I'm not good at remembering to take it. I think I am pregnant, but having a miscarriage. Last week on Tuesday I took an early preg. test two days before my period, it was negative. But since Saturday I have been having dull cramps with occasional sharp pains, and this morning I started bleeding lightly. All day today it has been light blood, mostly clear/white discharge, with small dark red bits of what looks like tissue. I stopped this month of birth control pill yesterday. I think I am miscarrying, based on symptoms I read online, and based on the fact that I have been taking the pills when I may have been pregnant.
Is this what's happening to me? If I am miscarrying, do I take time off workTo rest? (I read that's what you should do) Was I never preg. to begin with?
Help! -Charity

Symptoms:  Vaginal bleeding, cramps
Doctor