Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m post menapausal and I was diagnosed with iron deficiency

I’m post menapausal and I was diagnosed with iron deficiency

Patient: I’m post menapausal and I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia 9 months ago. When I don’t take the iron pills for a few days my iron levels fall. Could I be bleeding?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.If you are having bleeding from any site of the body it wil l come out or excessive internal bleeding can lead to complications like pain abdomen etc and can be diagnosed in investigations.Following steps may help in improving your iron deficiency.-Taking iron-rich foods like red meat, eggs, green leafy vegetables, beans etc along with iron supplements.-undergoing complete blood picture to detect other possible causes of anemia.-Taking antihelminthic drugs to avoid worm infestation.Undergoing stool microscopic examination to rule out continuous minute blood loss.-Ultrasound to rule out splenomegaly or other possible causes of anemia.Take care.