Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m prediabetic but have not been taking my Metformin

I’m prediabetic but have not been taking my Metformin

Patient: I’m prediabetic but have not been taking my Metformin for a couple months and I just tested my blood sugar after 3 hours ago eating several pizza slices. The number was 312. Should I be worried?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The postprandial or after meal sugars are indeed high, they are expected to be within 2 00 mg/dl.Kindly do a fasting blood sugar test on empty stomach early morning and do a post- prandial blood sugar after 2 hours of breakfast or lunch and see a diabetologist with the values. If possible get a HbA1c as well done and see the doctor. You may need oral medications for sugar control or even insulin if the values are high.Avoid sweets, junk food and refined sugars.Hope this helped.Regards