Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Im skinny and think im terminally ill

Im skinny and think im terminally ill

Patient: I am 17 years old 110 pounds and 5″9 and im really skinny, my lymph nodes have been swelling on and off for a year now in my groin and somtimes makes my leg hurt when i walk is there anything wrong?

Symptoms: Pale, skinny,

Doctor: Hello.thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comLymph node swelling off and on can be due to acute on chronic infectio ns. If the lymph node swelling has been generalised then it is likely that the cause is systemic and requires a thorough examination including blood work up, blood for culture and even fine needle aspiration cytology of the affected lymph nodes to ascertain the cause.Groin lymph node swelling is usually secondary to genital infections like LGV or lymphogranuloma venerum, gonorrhoea , chlamydia infection or granuloma inguinale. The diagnosis can be reached after a FNAC and histopathological examination so that appropriate antibiotics may be started.Generalised lymph node swelling indicates towards lymphoma or leukemic possibilities. It is thus suggested that you may visit your physician for a complete work up.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards