Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Im So worried Please someone help me.

Im So worried Please someone help me.

Patient: I was wondering can someone help me out..I have been on nexplanon implant for birth control for about 3 months now.. when I got it put in my OBGYN told me to wait a month just to be safe then sorry because at the time I was not on my period. I did as she told me I waited a month and a few days till i decided to have unprotected sex with my partner at the time. then I was on a period for about 2 months straight I was even spotting when we had sex..Im still worried should I be worried about pregnancy should I trust that my nexplanon worked ? My doc told me it would protect me from pregnancy even without condoms is this right am I ok?

Symptoms: Anxiety

Doctor: Hello,Nexaplanon is a hormonal contraception which after a month of use prevents ovulation completely and hence pregn ancy is prevented. The bleeding you are experiencing in the form of light bloody discharge is often a common side effect of progesterone implant which can be experienced for 2-3 months after the implant.However there is no harm ruling out any pregnancy with a urine pregnancy test and if it’s negative then you can opt for antifibrinolytics like tranexamic acid tabs thrice a day for 5 days to stop the breakthrough bleeding completely in consultation with your physician .I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,Regards.