Im starting to worry , I am very afraid now

Patient: Im starting to worry , I am very afraid now. I’ve been on my period for about 4 or 5 weeks now. I have blood clots also. What does this mean ? Should I see a doctor ? I feel like I’m losing to much blood.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Excessive and prolonged bleeding during periods is called m enorrhagia.It can occur due to many causes like gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal abnormalities, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, endometrial abnormalities etc.As you are having continuous bleeding since four to five weeks associated with clots, better to get evaluated.Please do consult your doctor, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, complete blood picture etc.With this workup the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care.