I’m suffering from depression and have been for years

Patient: I’m suffering from depression and have been for years finally got the courage to do something about it. Can I do it with out seeing someone as I’m ashamed and feel like I need medication

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.This condition can be corrected with the help of med icines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical Psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.You need to meet your Doctor to get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a Psychologist consult.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health