Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’m supposed to be having an abortion in about 4-5

I’m supposed to be having an abortion in about 4-5

Patient: I’m supposed to be having an abortion in about 4-5 days. I smoke marijuana I guess on a regular basis. The clinic website said not to use any recreational drugs up to 48 hours before the procedure. How much is this going to affect the anesthesia and will I be okay?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,As you are cheated for a dilatation and curettage after 4-5 da ys anyhow, the risk to foetus is not a concern here anymore with regards to smoking marijuana. The effect shall anyways die down by next 48 hrs so you can avoid it easily foe 2 days before the abortion date. The only affect which it can cause is faster anaesthesia which shall potentiate the short GA, actually used for the procedure.The dilatation and curettage can be done under an ultrasound guidance and your marijuana smoking shouldn’t be much of a concern with regards to procedure, but its always better to avoid before any surgical procedure.Regards