I'm wandering if i need diabetic medicine if my glucose

Patient

Q: I'm wandering if i need diabetic medicine if my glucose is 130 to 160 in the mornings before breakfast? If so what kind that won't affect my kidneys? I don't want to be on dialysis! Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Downey-Cooper@att.net

Doctor

Thanks for your query on Ask The Doctor.

There is no doubt your fasting sugar is higher than normal range of 80- 130 mg/dl. But it could be just glucose intolerance.
For the diagnosis of diabetes, Glucose tolerance test, measurement of Blood Glucose levels tests at fasting and 2 hours after meals and HBA1c are required to be done.

You are requested to do fasting blood sugar and 2 hours after meals blood sugar on same day. If fasting blood sugar is more than 130 mg/dl and post meal blood sugar is more than 180mg/dl, then you may be in suspicion of diabetes.
The HBA1c blood test is quite confirmatory of diabetes as it gives three months average blood glucose levels in body. If HBA1c is more than 7%; you may be labelled as diabetic.

Diabetes is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced.
Avoiding sugar in diet and beverages, regular exercise, walking for 45 minutes, reduction in weigh if obese are primary steps in controlling blood sugar level before starting medicines.
This might affects the vital organs like Kidney, brain, heart and eyes occurs in long standing uncontrolled diabetes only.
You are advised to visit your doctor and get evaluated for suspicion of diabetes.
Hope this will help you