Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Impaired fasting glucose and diabetes

Impaired fasting glucose and diabetes

Patient: I’m a 51 old male 5′-6″, weight 153lbs. My glucose is high on blood test between 104-114. Should I be worried? I do 3hrs. to 4hrs. a week of very entends cardo.

Doctor: The diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is easily established when a patient presents with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision) and has a random blood glucose value of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher, and confirmed on another occasion. Other diagnostic criteria include: Fasting plasma glucose values ?126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L), two-hour post oral glucose challenge values of ?200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), and A1C values ?6.5 percent. An abnormal result should be confirmed by repeat measurement with the same test.If both the blood sugar readings provided are fasting samples, then this places you in the category of Impaired fasting glucose (IFG) — Fasting plasma glucose between 100 and 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L). With IFG you have an increased risk of developing diabetes mellitus. I would advise attending your family physician for a repeat test to confirm these values.