Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Impaired fasting glucose increases risk of developing diabetes

Impaired fasting glucose increases risk of developing diabetes

Patient: 6 months back I eliminated meat (all animal types)from my breakfast and lunch on the way to an eventual total vegetarian diet. Now my blood glucose is 118. In 2007 it was 120 when I ate meat in any and all meals. Same for 2008 when it was 115 (still high). Can I even begin to lower it on a high carb diet (going total “veggie”)? by the way: cholesterol HDL 234 LDL 156

Doctor: A blood glucose level of 118mg/dL, if this is a fasting level places you in the category of Impaired fasting glucose (IF G) Fasting plasma glucose between 100 and 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L). You have an increased risk of developing diabetes mellitus. I would advise further investigation with an oral glucose tolerance test and a HBA1C level, if this has not already been performed. Long-term studies have indicated that whole-grain consumption reduces the risk of both type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. In addition, nuts (eg, almonds), viscous fibers (eg, fibers from oats and barley), soy proteins, and plant sterols, which may be part of the vegetarian diet, reduce serum lipids. In combination, these plant food components may have a very significant impact on cardiovascular disease, one of the major complications of diabetes. The vegetarian diet, therefore, contains a vast array of natural products and food forms of benefit for both the carbohydrate and lipid abnormalities in diabetes.