Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Implantation Bleeding

Implantation Bleeding

Patient: Dear Ask The Doctor:My boyfriend and I had protected sex on January 10th and 17th. I started my period on Monday, January 19th but it was very light and pink in colour. It got a little brighter in colour on Tuesday and then on Wednesday is was just red. There is no flow, nothing is coming out on a pad but only on a tampon. But on Thursday and Friday there was a heavy flow. I also noticed lumps of blood within since Tuesday. Is this my period or implantation bleeding that I’m experiencing?

Symptoms: Bleeding

Doctor: You are just getting anxious about the possibility of a pregnancy. There seems to be nothing abnormal about your period and it definitely does not sound like implantation bleeding.Having protected intercourse or using a contraceptive method always is the best way to safe guard yourself from such anxious moments. Whenever in doubt about a pregnancy, it is easier to take a home based pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. Specifics may vary for each pregnancy test, so read the instructions on the pack carefully. Be careful to note the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you’re pregnant or not.