Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Implantation Bleeding or Menstural Cycle?

Implantation Bleeding or Menstural Cycle?

Patient: Hello, I am concerned I may be pregnant. On Christmas Eve, my fiancé and I had unprotected sex, and I am almost certain this was during the time of ovulation. On January 3rd I began to bleed which was very discouraging because we were excited. I then began to read about implantation bleeding, but the articles I keep reading are not consistent. When I started bleeding at first it was pinkish; after a while it was bright red with dot like spots when I wiped. I am still bleeding, but it is not very heavy. Am I having anmenstural cycle or am I indeed pregnant? This would be my first pregnancy.

Symptoms: Bleeding, fatigue, mood swings

Doctor: Hello,If you have had sex in the fertile period on 25th and its just been a week from then, that you have started exp eriencing spotting in form of lightish pink discharge which can might as well be an implantation bleed unless pregnancy is ruled out.So, the best way to confirm pregnancy at this stage would be to undertake a serum beta hcg test which would depict the hcg levels. If the levels are found to be raised, then it confirms pregnancy, but if the levels are less than 1, then pregnancy is ruled out and these may be your menses.I hope i have been able to answer your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards