x
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Impotence after Inguinal Hernia surgery

I had this surgery on one side 2 weeks ago. Since then I have not been able to get an erection and my flaccid size is smaller too. Could this have been caused by the surgery? I had no erection problems before the surgery! Getting very concerned!

Answer:

Inguinal hernia surgery would not have any effect on the size of the penis, either erect or flaccid. The surgery would not have had any effect on erectile function either. I note in your medication history that you are taking Lipitor and Triamterene...do you have Hypertension. Hypertension damages the blood vessels throughout the body including the ones in the erectile tissue in the penis. This damage in the penis can lead to erectile problems. See you family physician for a complete assessment.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA