Impotence: Can not get an erection.

Patient

Q: I'm 58 years old and up to about a year ago, I became what I'll call totally impotent simply because no matter what or how I try, I can not longer achieve an erection. Do you need more information on giving me an answer as to how to find out if this is permanent or temporary?

Doctor

A:   Hi. Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

You anxiety is understandable. Apart from what you are expecting, slowness or frequency getting reduced is common as we age. Here is a list of causes of Erectile Dysfunction:
- Diabetes
- Heart disease
- Blood vessel diseases
- Medication

If you think you have any of the above, please talk to your Doctor. All the best.