Improvements to physical and mental functions with cold.

Q: I have a question regarding illness and improved cognitive and physical functioning. It may sound bizarre, but I recently contracted what, I perceived to be, a head cold. Initially, for about a 48 hour period, I felt that I was getting sick, but exhibited no major symptoms. That was approximate days of monday and tuesday. On wedneday I started to experience symptoms of a head cold, however something strange happened.

While I was/am definitely "ill", my body started to feel better. My nociceptors were dulled. My reflexes improved, as did my physicals strength and endurance. I went to work and unloaded an entire truck full of merchandise in record time. The other workers said they'd hardly ever seen someone work so fast. I became more motivated. While many of my core intellectual abilities do not seem to have improved, I am much more mentally alert and my attention span has improved, as has my ability to think quickly and focus. I do not need as much sleep, yet I feel less tired than I did before. I don't get annoyed or deterred as easily by things, both in regards to interpersonal relationships and tasks at hand. also my mood has generally improved.

Then, on friday evening, I had a few drinks with my friends (poor judgement on my part, since I was still sick, but I felt better than normal despite this). I woke up on saturday and my cold seemed to have subsided somewhat, as had the improvements that went along with it. On saturday evening, I started to actually feel worse than I had before I got sick, despite the reduced cold symptoms. I still felt ill, sort of a general malaise that I'd experienced on monday and tuesday, but now my hands felt weirdly cold (I usually have excellent circulation in my hands), and I just felt generally nauseous. I started to suspect sepsis, due to the drinking the night beforehand possibly leaving me immuno-compromised. I got home from work late (midnight), and went to sleep for four hours. Now it's sunday morning, and the head cold has returned (slightly) and the "Positive" symptoms are starting to come back. The pain numbness isn't as pronounced now, but the other symptoms are all there, as is a strange inability to tell if I feel cold or hot. I just feel this numb coolness, but not any kind of chills or discomfort. I could literally walk outside in what is probably negative 0 degrees fahrenheit and feel fine. I'm just not sure what is going on, but I don't feel like myself. I know it sounds like a non-issue, but this bizarre inability to gauge if anything is actually wrong with me (since I feel like the opposite is the case), is extremely unsettling. I don't know if there's a precedent for this.

It is worth noting that I have EDS type three, which is a connective tissue disorder that results in weak, flexible collagen that manifests predominantly in the joints (hypermobility, pain).

Symptoms:  Coughing, sneezing, improved functions