Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > In January, I preformed oral sex twice about 4-5 days

In January, I preformed oral sex twice about 4-5 days

Patient: In January, I preformed oral sex twice about 4-5 days apart. Although i experienced absolutley no symptoms, In March, i was worried that I had HIV and took a blood test that turned negative. However, to this day I am still very worried and it is ruining my life. I have two questions:1. What are the chances of contracting HIV from what I did? To give in detail, both were about 5-6 minutes long and I did NOT swallow his semen, but thouroughly washed out my mouth and brushed my teeth afterwards and made sure nothing was left in my mouth.2. Is 2 months good enough time for a correct result. The website on Quest Diagnostics said it was, and two doctors on this website have said it was, plus my medical graduate father and my general doctor.I have really regretted what I have done and have prayed and cried to God so much for good news. The worry and anxiety has taken over my life.

Symptoms: No symptoms

Doctor: HI. Thank you for writing to us.To recapitulate: you are a male, young and gives history of performing oral sex twic e in January – no symptoms – got worried in March about HIV, might be after reading some articles- negative reports – still worried -You have two questions:1. What are the chances of contracting HIV from what I did? You have given the details.> First of all, get your partner’s HIV done. If negative you just do not have to worry as you can not get it at all.2. Is 2 months good enough time for a correct result?> yes, Noe it is almost 5 months repeat tests once and if negative, just stop worrying.> It looks that the guilt of the act is eating you not the fear of HIV.I hope this answers your query.