Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > In July I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks.

In July I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks.

Patient: In July I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks. I got my period 4 weeks later. But since then the cycle length has been different each time: some only 22 days, others 30 days. I’m on the fourth cycle now. Is it likely I am ovulating? Prior to the miscarriage I had regular periods.I am trying to conceive, but nothing yet. With my first child I became pregnant after only one month of trying, and the same with the pregnancy I lost.

Symptoms: Variable menstrual cycle 4 months after miscarriage.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,It is often seen that menses may take 3-4 cycles to regularize after miscarriage or especially if a dilatation and curettage procedure has been undertaken for removal of retained products of conception. Ideally if the menstrual period is between 23 -35 days then it is still considered normal but ovulation shall depend on the estrogen level and the LH surge during mid-cycle. So to establish ovulation you can opt for ovulation kits starting from day 10 of your cycle daily.Its a urine based test and the day it comes positive, in next 36 hrs, one would be ovulating. Though the confirmation of ovulation is always by a transvaginal ultrasound but this is the most practical way to track ovulation time. Ideally pregnancy should be avoided for at least 3 months post miscarriage to allow uterus to return back to its pre-pregnant state.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards