Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > In my right index finger, the nail has started to turn yellow/orange

In my right index finger, the nail has started to turn yellow/orange

Patient: In my right index finger, the nail has started to turn a yellowy/orange colour. I don’t smoke or anything

Doctor: Thank you for choosing ATD.It seems that you have injured your nail. The injured nail will have blood under the nail s. The blood under the nails will start to discolor because of the breakdown of the blood.This discoloration is what is causing the nail to discolor. Without an examination, I cannot confirm this. You should talk to a Doctor to help you with the diagnosis.After the diagnosis, the Doctor will start the treatment.There can be a few other causes of discoloration of the nail. Here are a few:- Fungal infection- JaundiceTalk to a Doctor as soon as possible to get help.