Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Inability to get an erection after using Propecia

Inability to get an erection after using Propecia

Patient: I have been taking propecia for hair loss for just under 2 weeks now and I have already experienced severe side effects. I have lost the ability to get an erection during sex, is this normal, or too soon? Or will it go away the longer I use this drug, or should I stop using it?

Symptoms: Loss of sexual desire and loss of ability to get an erection

Doctor: Thank you for picking ATD.The hair loss drug Propecia can cause a decrease in sexual performance in terms of libido and erection. In some ejaculatory dysfunction is also reported. Researchers have pointed out persistent sexual side effects in a small population that continues even after stopping the drug. Most patients, however, regain their normal sexual function after discontinuing Propecia. In general it is safe, effective and well-tolerated. Final decision about discontinuation of treatment should be done under Doctor’s advice.