Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Incoming surgery due to chronic shoulder problem

Patient: Hi im 36 years of age i had had pain in my shoulder blade for the last 10 years 5 years ago i had a mri scan which showed i had wear and tear but the pain has never went away even with pain killers.im due to go for keyhole surgery on tue but would like to know because i had it so long will it go after treatment. i have had neck pain right side and it started about 1 year ago could this be connected to my shoulder. even writing this makes my shoulder worse.there is a difference in my shoulders when u look at them. i had tryed eveything in the last 10 years to ease the pain but nothing has helped. thank u so much for your time and hope to hear from u soon thanks again

Doctor: There is a good chance of improving after the arthroscopy if you follow the doctor directions and a comprehensive rehabi litation program. You do not tell the exact cause for the procedure but the arthroscopic shoulder surgery can treat the following conditions: rotator cuff tears, shoulder instability, labral tears, slap lesions, impingement syndrome, biceps tendonitis, frozen shoulder and acromio clavicular joint arthritis. The recovery depends on what type of surgery is performed. One of the problems with shoulder arthroscopy is that the procedure hurts much less than open shoulder surgery, and therefore patients may tend to do too much, too soon. It is very important that you only perform activities that your surgeon recommends following a shoulder arthroscopy. Even though your shoulder may feel fine, you need to allow time for repaired tissues to adequately heal. This is especially important for patients who have rotator cuff repairs and labral repairs.