Incompetent Cervix

Patient : I have what you call an Incompetent Cervix. I have had three miscarriages. With my last pregnancy I had a cerclage placed around 16 weeks and was put on bedrest until I was ready to have my baby. While on bedrest my water broke due to an infection and I ended up having to remove the cerclage and miscarried about two days later. I was doing some research on the subject of Incompetent Cervix and saw there is an abdominal cerclage. Is the abdominal cerclage only for women who have short or not enough cervix? And if not, will that be a better choice for me?
Doctor :   Abdominal cerclage is performed in women who have a short cervix or a distorted cervix. It seems your cerclage failed be cause of an infection and not because of technique. Should you become pregnant again, cerclage can don via the vaginal approach and special care taken to avoid the development of any infections throughout the pregnancy.