Incompetent Cervix

Patient

Q: My doctor refused to see me when I complained of increased discharge during the second trimester. I called her everyday for a week. At first it was just mucus like discharge. Then three days later it was blood tinged. She kept diagnosing it over the phone as a yeast infection. Even after the bleeding started. On the 7th day I felt a bulge in my vagina, and I forced her to finally see me. It was revealed that I had an incompetent cervix, and by then it was too late.

I've since read stories where women were able to receive emergent cerclages and save their babies before a bloody show began. If she would have seen me when I first complained, could an emergency cerclage have helped? There was only discharge then. Not too much, and no bleeding. It was just a different texture, so that made me think something was wrong.

Symptoms:  Change in discharge followed by increased discharge, leading to a bloody show. This ultimately ended in me delivering at 19 weeks and 5 days.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We are always concerned with blood discharge during pregnancy. Sometimes this may be a normal phenomenon associated with the physiological changes of pregnancy but when the bleeding increased, this a symptom that is serious and can threaten the pregnancy. We believe you should have been thoroughly examined at the onset of your bleeding to determine what the cause is. However, we are not certain if any invasive procedure at the time would have prevented the loss of your pregnancy. If at the onset of your bleeding you were diagnosed with an incompetent cervix, then certainly, a cervical cerclage would have reduced the risk of misarriage. We are very sorry for the loss of your pregnancy.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com