Incomplete Abortion with Minimal Retained Products

Patient

Q: HI

I took Mifepristone & Misoprostol tablets last Saturday(07-Mar-2015) week ago , during this week i had a bleeding more ( had to change up to 4 pads a day ) my doctor advised me to take 2 more Misoprostol tablets on Thursday(12-Mar) and i took the same . I had a Scan Yesterday and the comments by report says "Incomplete Abortion with Minimal Retained Products " can you please advise how to get complete abortion as i am not interested in surgery or D&C. However the bleeding has reduced a little now ..

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Usually, up to 8 weeks of gestational age medical termination with tablets is possible.
But sometimes if the gestational age is more than 8 weeks or in lower gestational age also, products of conception can remain in the uterus after taking tablets.
Further management depends on the quantity of the retained products.
If retained products are very minimal, misoprostol can help in the expulsion of them.
But if the retained products are more in quantity, better to go for D&C.

Take care.