Incontinence in a teenager.

Patient

Q: Is it normal for a teenage boy to wet his pants when coughing or blowing his nose?

Symptoms:  Incontinence
Doctor

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for your query.

It is not normal for any child above the age of 5 to wet his/her pants. Some kids develop bladder control at late ages but almost none will not develop it by their teens.

There can be a neurological cause or a Development issue which has led to this. The best way to combat this would be to consult a Urologist who will first try to find the cause.

The treatment can be behavior therapy and water restriction in some cases and if needed, surgery can be undertaken.