Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Incotinence after hydrocele surgery

Incotinence after hydrocele surgery

Patient: I am a 22 year old male 5’9″ 140 lbs. I had a hydrocele surgery 3 years ago. I had to have a catheter after my surgery. In the past two years, I have been struggling with prostatitis off and on. I’ve been diagnosed with it on four different occasions now and have tried several different medications. Every time I go through a medication, it goes away for about 3-5 months but then all of the symptoms come back again. Painfull urination, frequent urination, taking several times to empty out my bladder. When the symptoms are at their worse I sometimes get puss that comes out of my urethra. I have been tested for std’s every time I go to my urologist and they always comeback negative. I haven’t felt the same since I had the catheter. I have pain in my urethra. I have heard it’s not normal to have prostattis this often. What could be wrong with me?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.One possibility is that one of the nerves supplying to the urethra got damaged and there is a problem in emptying of the bladder. My advice is that you check this with another Doctor. I cannot confirm this but it may be possible.One of the complications of any groin surgery is incontinence.Hope this helps.