Increase fluid intake to prevent further kidney stone formation

Patient

Q: I would like to ask what kind of foods that you can and you can't eat when you have kidney stone. Is there any home remedy that you can recommend.

Doctor

A:   Kidney stones can be composed of mainly calcium, urate, struvite or cystine. Approximately 80 percent of patients with kidney stones form calcium stones, most of which are composed primarily of calcium oxalate or, less often, calcium phosphate. The other main types include uric acid, struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate), and cystine stones. Analysis of the stone is an essential part of the evaluation. If you do not know the composition of the stone it can be presumed to be of calcium origin. You need to be tested for certain medical conditions that predispose to stone formation. In addition to this it would be advisable to drink more fluids to decrease the risk of another stone. The goal is to increase the amount of urine that flows through your kidneys and also to lower the concentrations of substances that promote stone formation. One expert recommends drinking enough fluid that you make about 2 liters of urine per day. Consult your urologist for advice specific to your case.