Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Increased Bleeding During Menopause

Increased Bleeding During Menopause

Patient: I’ve been going thru menapause for 3 years now and for the last two months not had a period now for the last three days I’m bleeding so bad I’m having to change every 30 minutes to an hour when should I start worrying

Doctor: It is very common to experience irregular and heavy periods during menopause. Due to the changes occurring in the body a nd the hormonal system, it is usual for women to experience changes in the menstruation like heavy bleeding, spotting or no periods followed by heavy bleeding. Before your periods stop completely, they generally become either more closely or widely spaced. This irregularity may last for 1 – 3 years before menstruation finally ends completely.