Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Increased bleeding during periods. Is this early menopause?

Increased bleeding during periods. Is this early menopause?

Patient: Im 39 years old and experiencing alot a heavey periods latley with sball but lots of blood clots.Is this normal? I am average hieght and wieght and hold a full job. Im active, eat and sleep properly. Could this be a sign of early menopause?

Doctor: Heavy bleeding during periods is known as menorrhagia. This usually happens when there is imbalance in the hormones estr ogen and progesterone. This worsens with increase of age. The other causes could be polyps, fibroids or any bleeding disorders.I would advise that you consult your gynecologist for a complete physical examination. Blood work like a complete blood count, iron studies, coagulation factors, thyroid function tests, prolactin levels, hormone assays and liver function test may be ordered by your doctor to determine the cause of the heavy bleeding. Other tests may include imaging studies like ultrasound, CT scan of the pelvis and PAP smear.