Increasing Setraline dosage

Patient

Q: I take 100mg of Setraline daily. If I am having a really bad day, would it be okay to increase the dosage to 150 just for that day? Would I even feel anything? Would I feel any better within a couple hours of taking the extra 50mg?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Sertraline takes time to build up therapeutic levels within the body to exhibit noticeable affects in treating your symptoms. Having said that, you may not experience any noticeable results from increasing your dosage by 50mg for a single day. It is important that you follow your medication prescription as ordered by your doctor. Should you feel the need to increase your dosage, it should only be done under the direct advise of your prescribing physician.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com