Indent in my rib cage


Q: Hello I got hit with a bowling ball tonight and now have an indent in my upper right rib cage. It doesn't hurt that much but do I need to see a doctor and will the dent go back to normal.

Symptoms:  It hurts a bit to breathe out.

A:   Thank you for your question. This indentation may be soft tissue trauma sustained from the hit you received. If you are not experiencing any pain in the area, or difficulty breathing we recommend you wait for 2 to 3 days to see if this will resolve on its own. If after 3 days the indentation is still present, please have your doctor evaluate the area to determine if you may have fractured any ribs. If you develop any pain or difficulty breathing during this observation period, please go to your doctor immediately.

Thank you for consulting

Related Q&A

Q: Hi doc , i did my first boxing class today i am a 35 years old female , fit after i finished my class i felt some pai...

Q: I fell off the bed trying to step on the night stand to hang a picture. It all happened so quickly, i fell with the ...

Q: I was playing beach soccer, and my big toe popped out of the socket. I rested for a month, then I slowly started run...

Q: Got kicked in the shin bone with studs/cleats during a soccer game and now is very painful when pressure is released ...

Q: Can my hamstring be surgically fixed. while playing soccer I ripped the insertion of my bicep Femoris from the knee.


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon