Indent in my rib cage

Patient

Q: Hello I got hit with a bowling ball tonight and now have an indent in my upper right rib cage. It doesn't hurt that much but do I need to see a doctor and will the dent go back to normal.

Symptoms:  It hurts a bit to breathe out.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This indentation may be soft tissue trauma sustained from the hit you received. If you are not experiencing any pain in the area, or difficulty breathing we recommend you wait for 2 to 3 days to see if this will resolve on its own. If after 3 days the indentation is still present, please have your doctor evaluate the area to determine if you may have fractured any ribs. If you develop any pain or difficulty breathing during this observation period, please go to your doctor immediately.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com