Indications for Carotid Artery Revascularisation

Patient

Q: What percentage does the carotids have to be blocked before they consider stents? My right is blocked between 50 and 69 per cent

Doctor

A:   Two large studies have shown a benefit in carotid artery revascularisation (either surgical or stenting) in patients with symptoms (previous stroke or mini stroke). One of these studies carried out in North America showed a benefit in carotid artery stenosis greater than 50% while the other carried out in Europe showed a benefit in carotid artery narrowing greater than 60%. If you have had no prior episodes of stroke or mini stroke there is no current benefit in carotid artery revascularization and the recommendation would be for medication. This could be discussed with a vascular surgeon