Infant bone deficiency

Patient

Q: Hi, I have a niece who is now 2 and a half years old. When she was a baby (4-5 months old) she suffered a fracture in her leg. When taken to the hospital, an old fracture was found on her arm. She had genetic testing done and they found that she had some kind of bone deficiency problem, but it wasn't conclusive enough for them to say that was definitely the problem. There are questions about her childcare provider, but doctors say it had to have been deliberate rather than accidental -- they say babies' bones are very flexible and difficult to break on accident. My question is, what kind of bone deficiency problems would contribute to having multiple fractures? We are very concerned it may be a lifelong problem, and will do anything possible to find the cause and prevent it from ever happening again. There are questions about whether this is some kind of deficiency related to the difficulty in feeding her as a baby -- she would always spit up so much of what she drank. She was very stressed as an infant. Are there any bone deficiencies that go hand in hand with slower growth rate overall? She was switched from Enfamil to Nutramigen and never really got better until she started eating baby food.

Doctor

A:   Several medical conditions can cause multiple fractures in children of this age group. If ruling out child abuse there is a condition called Osteogenesis Imperfecta that you should discuss with your pediatrician. Hope this guides you where to begin.