Infant chest cold, coughing and runny nose

Patient : My 9 months old gradson is coughing and has a runny nose. We can't get him to a doctor for some hours. Is there anything we can do to help him?
Doctor :   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. I Recommend a visit to the Pediatrician immediately. It could be a viral or ba cterial infection. If it is a dry cough the chances of viral infection is more. A productive cough could mean a bacterial infection or pneumonia. A thorough chest examination, sputum culture and chest xray would be helpful in diagnosis. Treatment would depend upon the diagnosis. Viral infection (Coryza) may involve symptomatic treatment and rest and good nutrition. Bacterial infections may need antibiotics, rest and nutrition maintenance. Avoiding the doctor's visit could be harmful. In order top relieve the child's discomfort, steam inhalation and warm water with honey (to drink) would be good measures. Keep the child warm and cold wipes on the forehead to bring down the fever if present. Hope this information was useful.