Infant son sleeps face down despite our efforts

Patient: My son is 5 months old. He gets plenty of tummy time during the day, is able to life his head and shoulders, and also rolls from from back to stomach. We have always put him to sleep on his back on a firm crib mattress, free of loose bedding and obstructions, to reduce the risk of SIDS. Ever since he discovered how to roll over, he rolls onto his stomach in his sleep. Not only does he turn on his stomach, he buries his mouth and nose into the mattress. He does not turn his head to the side. My husband and I have been staying up in shifts through the night to monitor and reposition him. No matter what we do, he clearly prefers this position. Is it necessary to continue to monitor him, and if so, at what stage of development is it safe to allow him to sleep with his head buried in his bed, if ever?

Doctor: I understand how worried you might be about SIDS. As you may already know, Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the un explained death, usually during sleep, of a seemingly healthy baby, there’s no warning and there’s no definitive cause.Let me reassure you that this condition rarely occurs before 1 month of age or after 6 months, it is often present between 2 to 4 months. Until your baby reaches that age, I will suggest you to continue placing your baby to sleep resting on his back, Avoid placing your baby on thick, fluffy padding, such as lambskin or a thick quilt. Don’t leave pillows, fluffy toys or stuffed animals in your infant’s crib. Consider keeping your baby’s crib or bassinet in your room at first. I wish you the best.