x
Browse
170 Physicians Online

Question:

Infected Wound Leaking despite antibiotics

I have a cut that became infected. I have now been on an antibiotic ointment and a pill for a few days. The wound keeps leaking and it is a constant slow leakage. Is this normal?.

Answer:

It iwll take a few days for the antibiotics to work. The wound should show signs of healing after about 5 days of antibiotic treatment. If the infection persists despite antibiotics it would suggest that the antibiotics are ineffective and different type of antibiotic or alternative treatment is required. I suggest completing your current course of antibiotics and getting frequent dressings of the wound. If these measures fail to cure your infection then you should return to your physician.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA