x
85 Physicians Online

Question:

Infected Wound Leaking despite antibiotics

I have a cut that became infected. I have now been on an antibiotic ointment and a pill for a few days. The wound keeps leaking and it is a constant slow leakage. Is this normal?.

Answer:

It iwll take a few days for the antibiotics to work. The wound should show signs of healing after about 5 days of antibiotic treatment. If the infection persists despite antibiotics it would suggest that the antibiotics are ineffective and different type of antibiotic or alternative treatment is required. I suggest completing your current course of antibiotics and getting frequent dressings of the wound. If these measures fail to cure your infection then you should return to your physician.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.