Infections from Nuvaring

Q: A week ago I was rushed to the ER after experiencing really severe abdominal pains. I was sure that my pains were due to the Nuvaring regimen I started about a month prior. I thought maybe I contaminated it after reinserting it a few times. Imagine my shock when the ER doc diagnosed me with PID. I was confused because my husband and I were using condoms as a back up method because the Nuvaring kept coming out. When I probed the doctor further on his diagnosis, he nonchalantly told me that PID is not necessarily transmitted through sex. My Primary Care Provider, however, stated that PID is residual bacteria from previous STD myself or my husband may have had. My husband even volunteered to get tested for STD's, but he doesn't know what to get tested for since all of my labs and pap smears tested negative for STD's.

Is there a possibility that I may have been misdiagnosed? Should I seek a second opinion? What kind of tests and treatments should my husband seek? I need to know what to do next to prevent a recurrence.