Infertility after a Vasectomy Reversal

Patient

Q: I had a successful vasectomy, my follow up tests indicated a sperm count of zero. Is there any risk of pregnancy at this point?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. After a vasectomy is reversed it is important to note that the chances of impregnating your partner drops from around 85% to about 65%. This is due to the scar tissue that remains at the anastomosis (rejoining) site of spermatic cords. However, the fact that you have azoospermia (zero sperm count), leads us to surmise that there could be other causes of you infertility.
One theory for low or zero sperm count after vasectomy reversal your body's immune system develop antibodies against your sperm, which attach to the spermatozoa and mark them for destruction. Another possible cause could be due to the development of incompetent veins surrounding the spermatic cords. This is referred to as varicocele. In about 35-40% of men that have infertility present with varicocele. There could also be hormonal imbalances which is affecting sperm production. It is for this reason we recommend that you follow up with a male fertility specialist who will conduct a physical exam, perform the necessary laboratory investigations, as well as conduct any and all diagnostic imaging required to determine the exact cause of your azoospermia. Should you have any further questions, or require more clarification to our answer, please feel free to respond, and we will try our level best to help you.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com

Patient: I have not had a vasectomy reversal, I had a successful vasectomy and my tests indicate zero sperm count. I want to know if there is any possibility of getting a woman pregnant?

Thanks.